The ultimate comfort food on a chilly PNW winter night — Chicken Cacciatore! My mom used to make this all of the time when I was kid, so the aroma of it cooking in my slow cooker always brings me right back to my childhood! As always, Skinnytaste nailed it with this recipe.
If you can, use bone-in OR boneless chicken thighs. The thigh meat adds an amazing, deep flavor to this dish. Also, if you have 20 extra minutes, sear the chicken to get a nice crust on the outside, plus sauté the veggies before putting all inside your slow cooker. It just elevates the flavor that much more! In addition to the oregano, I added 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning. Lastly, don’t forget to remove the bay leaf!! I’ve forgotten this step more times than I’d like to admit;). I served this heavenly concoction over quinoa and brown rice medley and sprinkled with pecorino Romano cheese. TO DIE FOR!
STAY TUNED: I’ve drank the koolaid and purchased an Instapot! Woot woot! You know what’s coming, Ladies! Xoxo
- 8 chicken thighs, with the bone, skin removed
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes (Tuttorosso my favorite!)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs such as basil or parsley for topping
- Season chicken with salt and black pepper and place in the slow cooker.
- Pour tomatoes over the chicken, top with onions and peppers, add oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper, give it a quick stir and cover.
- Set crock pot to LOW 8 hours or HIGH 4 hours.
- When the timer beeps, remove lid and keep the crock pot on HIGH one hour to help it thicken.
Better method but requires more prep:
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high, lightly spray with oil (I use my Misto) and brown chicken on both sides a few minutes, season with salt and pepper. Add to the slow cooker.
- To the skillet, spray with a little more oil and add onions and peppers. Sauté until juices release and the vegetables become golden, a few minutes.Add to the slow cooker. Pour tomatoes over the chicken and vegetables, add oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper, give it a quick stir and cover.
- Set crock pot to LOW 8 hours or HIGH 4 hours. Remove bay leaf, adjust salt and pepper and enjoy!