This is one of my favorite recipes and one that I’ve tweaked over time. I started making stuffed peppers after I met my husband and I’ve made them so many times that I don’t use a recipe, so it’s been really fun getting back to my roots and documenting this recipe for you awesome mamas!
- 4 large bell peppers (any color)
- 1 lb of ground turkey or chicken
- 1 lb of sweet or hot chicken Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 14.5 oz can tomato sauce
- 6 oz bag of baby spinach
- 2 T oregano
- 1/2 t Italian seasoning
- Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 c cooked brown rice or wheat orzo
- 1/2 c chicken stock or water
Cut peppers in half and hollow out seeds. Place peppers in 13x9 baking dish. Brown turkey and sausage in a large pot and drain fat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add onion, garlic and spices and cook for a few minutes until onion is translucent. Add sauce and cook on low for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and readjust seasoning.
Add bag of spinach and put on lid until spinach is wilted, stirring every few minutes. Add rice and stir to combine. After mixture has cooled, stuff peppers with mixture—they will be packed in tightly with goodness! Pour in stock or water in bottom of dish and cover tightly with foil.
Bake at 375 for 35-45 minutes, or until peppers are soft and mixture is heated through. Serve with parmigiana or pecorino Romano cheese sprinkled on top.
A few tips/tricks:
- Make the mixture ahead of time and put in fridge until ready to stuff the peppers.
- You can make the entire dish ahead and keep covered in the fridge. Add stock right before baking. This is usually what I do.
- This recipe is super versatile and lends well to many veggies! Use what you have on hand — shredded carrots, mushrooms, diced broccoli or cauliflower. Make sure the veggies are cut up small.
- These are awesome for meal prep and reheat like a dream!!!!!!!
Manga mamas! Xo