- cooking spray
- 1.3 lb package 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, light
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tbsp poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 28 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 oz) cans chick peas, drained
- 2 cups low sodium, 99% fat free chicken broth*
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- 2 tbsp fresh Italian parsley or spearmint, chopped
Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and over medium high heat cook ground turkey for 10-12 minutes. Break up the ground meat and mix so meat cooks evenly; place in the slow cooker.
To the skillet add the olive oil, onions, pepper, carrots, and celery and sauté until soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker along with diced tomatoes, chick peas, spices, broth and gently mix well. Cover and cook on LOW heat 6 to 8 hours. Remove bay leaves and serve; garnish with fresh herbs.
Makes 10 cups.