We're all in this together, mamas! Keep calm and stock that freezer! Try this soup for something new.
I am obsessed with soups in colder months! My week is set up for success when I meal prep, and that always includes a big pot of soup on Sunday. I will typically eat the soup for dinner, then pre-portion throughout the week for a quick lunch! I adapted this recipe from a WW recipe and it’s so easy and filling. You can always add shredded chicken for an extra protein boost, or make this vegetarian by using vegetable stock. The lime and cilantro really adds a fresh kick to the flavor! I think you’ll love this recipe! Xo
- 1 Tbsp, extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large, chopped uncooked onion(s)
- 1 medium, seeded, minced jalapeño pepper(s)
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp, ancho variety chili powder
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 60 oz, rinsed and drained canned black beans
- 2 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp, (Juice of 1 lime) fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp plain lowfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup(s), chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup(s), chopped uncooked scallion(s)
Heat oil in a large nonstick soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, garlic and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add oregano, cumin, chili powder and cayenne; stir and cook 1 minute. Add beans and broth to pot; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for flavors to blend, about 10 minutes; stir in lime juice.
Remove from heat and puree soup in pot using an immersion blender (or puree in a regular blender in batches). When serving, stir 1/2 tablespoon yogurt into each bowl and garnish with cilantro and scallions. Yields about 1 cup per serving.