This salad is one of my new go-tos for summer. Easy to put together, keeps well in the fridge as a side dish or makes an easy meal prep for weekly lunches! The star of this dish is fresh dill! If you haven’t tried dill, you will be pleasantly surprised! Add seafood or chicken for an easy dinner.
- 1 cup dried lentils (preferably small French lentils
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3/4 lb tomatoes, diced (2 cups)
- 4 large scallions, thinly sliced (3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar, or to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan with lentils, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until lentils are just tender, 15 to 25 minutes. Drain in a large sieve, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Toss hot lentils with tomatoes, scallions, dill, basil, vinegar, oil, pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste.
This salad tastes best when it has a while to sit and let the flavors meld. Enjoy, mamas! Xoxo